Shopping for a New Jeweler's Torch?
I currently own a Little Torch acetylene/ox and a small hand-held butane torch I bought from this website. I really do not care to use my acetylene/ox torch often because it produces a lot of soot and you have to adjust two gases every time you want to lite it. I've been using the small butane torch non-stop for the past two years and I love it. Its easy, push-button trigger ignition and its light weight. Don't let anyone tell you that a butane torch can't handle soldering jobs. Everything I've made in my shop for the past two years was soldered with my tiny butane torch. There are drawbacks of course. It runs out of gas quickly and the gas is expensive. While it handles general soldering... it will not work for very small detailed work like repairs, the flame is too bushy and not hot enough. The reason I'm looking for another torch is I need more control over the flame, I want a hotter flame and something easy as far as one knob to turn and lite.
I did some research on jewelers torches and there are a lot of factors to consider.
1. What metals are you working with?
2. What kind of work will you be doing (general, detail, repairs...)
3. Availability of the gas/fuel in your area?
4. Safety and Health concerns
5. Efficiency
Here are some links I found that discuss torches, fuel and much more.
Article on Ganoskin
Forum Posts at Art Jewelry Magazine
I'ld love to find some more information about health and safety issues regarding the different fuels. Post them if you know of any good articles or forum discussions.
I did some research on jewelers torches and there are a lot of factors to consider.
1. What metals are you working with?
2. What kind of work will you be doing (general, detail, repairs...)
3. Availability of the gas/fuel in your area?
4. Safety and Health concerns
5. Efficiency
Here are some links I found that discuss torches, fuel and much more.
Article on Ganoskin
Forum Posts at Art Jewelry Magazine
I'ld love to find some more information about health and safety issues regarding the different fuels. Post them if you know of any good articles or forum discussions.
