Using a Jewelers Saw

I've had a lot of practice using a jeweler's saw over the past few years... every single bird I've made started as sheet metal which I then sawed out, by hand, with a jewelers saw. I just had another conversation about the trials of using this tool so I thought I'ld share a few of my tips for successful sawing.

With saw in hand I'm ready for that first stroke. But here is where most people encounter their first hurdle... trying to keep the blade on your mark... Instead it skips about marring up your metal. My tip : I start my first stroke going up, not down. I use my fingernail or a wood clamp to mark the starting point, very gently I rest the saw blade up against my fingernail but touching the metal. I make the first stoke in an upward direction, slightly tilted forward. Make the same move a couple more times just to get the cut started, always in an upward direction. The nick I've created from those upward strokes helps grab the blade for the downward stroke. You still have to move carefully and gently, but it definitely makes starting your cut easier. Another way to start the cut is to use a tiny metal file to create a small notch in the metal.

Another thing I SWEAR by is burr lube or beeswax or oil of wintergreen... what ever you can get your hands on. Helps the blade slide through the metal like butter and I can tell a huge difference in how much easier it is to pull the blade and how much longer my blades last.

Finally, let the blade do most of the work. Sawing requires very little strength on your part. You are mostly guiding the blade up and down and following your pattern. I see a lot of people tense up when beginning to saw... relax, rest your shoulders. There's a lot of power released from your shoulders. You don't need that kind of power or strength to saw. I sit toward the front edge of my seat, both feet flat on the floor, back straight but not tense, relax your shoulders, relax your grip, relax your jaw and don't forget to breath... tension = frustration = broken blades.

A good way to relax is to do the opposite first. Without any tools in your hands, tense all the parts of your body I mentioned above as hard as you can for a few seconds. Then relax and let the tension drip off you like water.

I think one of the biggest keys to sawing is patience. This technique takes a lot of practice to master. If you're breaking blades constantly, welcome to the club.

Popular Posts